$104,890 + 9.5% Superannuation
Permanent Full Time
City of Melbourne is committed to supporting diversity, inclusion and flexibility. Applicants seeking flexible and part-time arrangements are encouraged to apply.
For more information on what it is like working with us at City of Melbourne please go to working with us at City of Melbourne
City of Melbourne recognises the value of the diversity and strength of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures to the heritage of all Australians and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply. You will be supported in your application via our Aboriginal Employment Officer, Mariah Johnson.
How this position makes the difference to City of Melbourne…
As a local government authority, the City of Melbourne has a vision to be a bold, inspirational and sustainable city – a city that cares for the environment, while preparing responsibly for future population growth.
The Senior Sustainability Officer develops and delivers services that reduce energy use in the City’s commercial building stock and encourages the sector to move towards zero carbon buildings. The position will:
- Research the key barriers and drivers to lower carbon emissions in the city.
- Identify high impact policy changes, market based solutions and community engagement approaches to overcoming barriers to lowering emissions.
- Design services and lead key sustainability programs towards zero net emissions for the municipality.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of energy efficiency strategies and sustainable buildings in the municipality, and work to embed sustainability principles in the City of Melbourne organisation.
- Partner with other City of Melbourne Teams and Branches to embed low emissions and sustainability principles in planning and precinct development.
- Lead advocacy for changes to State and Federal policy which will reduce carbon emissions.
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
- Ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values – accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant sustainable cities practices including regulation, guidelines, rating schemes, technologies, and State, Federal and international policy and initiatives.
- Experience in the development, implementation and management of sustainable cities policy and initiatives supporting environmental sustainability.
- Appropriate tertiary qualification in environment, sustainability, public policy, or business related field, or equivalent level of experience.
- High level written and oral communication, interpersonal, and negotiation skills.
- Innovative and creative approaches to problem solving.
- Proven ability to build and maintain productive networks, engaging with community and business stakeholders and providing high quality customer service.
- High level project management capability including demonstrated experience in leading sustainable projects with the ability to deliver projects on time and on budget, and to balance and respond to competing priorities.
- High level research and data management skills, including, but not limited to, the ability to use spreadsheets, databases, project management software , and to manage web content, and social media.
- Proven capability to contribute to skill development of team members by providing coaching, mentoring and support.
- Specific experience in sustainable buildings would be desirable
To view the physical requirements of this position, please see below under Position Information.
How to apply…
As part of the online application form you are required to:
- attach your resume
- attach a separate cover letter responding to the selection criteria (no more than two pages), as listed above under ‘You will bring…’
Please address your covering letter to Judith Landsberg, Team Leader – Low Carbon Future
The position description for this role will not be provided at this stage of application.
The Advertised Close Date and other important information can be found on www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/careers.
City of Melbourne is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity and inclusion.
If you have a disability and require advice and support during the recruitment process, we encourage you to apply or contact us on the details listed below.
City of Melbourne’s Recruitment Team and our Aboriginal Employment Officer, Mariah, welcome your general questions on (03) 9658 9140 between the hours of 8:30am and 1:00pm Monday to Friday.