Research Projects Officer - Electronics Engineering & Battery Technology - [Archived Advertisement]
Research Projects Officer - Electronics Engineering & Battery Technology
- Are you an experienced Electronics Engineer with an interest in coding electrical systems?
- Key role working on design, creation and testing of battery & hybrid energy systems
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s National Science Agency – in an ongoing role!
CSIRO’s ‘Thermal and Electrochemical Technologies’ Group executes research & development in the areas of battery storage, hydrogen related technologies, biomass gasification processes, and renewable fuels-based IC engines.
We are currently looking for an experienced and driven Electronics Engineer, with a passion in coding and programming electrical systems & circuits, to join our CSIRO Energy team. As the Research Projects Officer, you will lead and conduct the development, construction and testing of electronic hardware for specific battery & hybrid energy systems and their respective prototype units. You will also play a key role in the testing and evaluation of battery and other energy storage technologies for performance.
This is a hands-on role, and would be a great opportunity to work with a multi-disciplinary team of R&D specialists and external researchers & experts, to grow and develop your specialist skills in electronics and battery technology.
Applications are invited across two capability levels and the successful candidate will be appointed at the level commensurate with their skills and experience. More details around the difference between the two levels are outlined in the Position Description.
Your duties will include:
- Contributing to system prototype and hardware construction including breadboarding designs, construction of electronic systems, testing and evaluation.
- Setting up hardware and connections of energy storage systems and laboratory (custom designed or existing) equipment.
- Coding of test procedures for laboratory equipment.
- Conducting the testing and evaluation of batteries and/or energy storage systems and prototype system.
- Contributing to data analysis and tabulation/plotting to support senior scientists.
- Writing safe working instructions (SWI) and preventive maintenance schedules for the safe operation of laboratory equipment.
- Managing the laboratory day-to-day operations, laboratory maintenance and upkeep including equipment maintenance and coordination.
- At the more senior level, you will be also leading a small team and collaborating with staff, external researchers and experts to initiate & maintain collaborative relationships, as well as performing other higher duties & responsibilities.
Location: Clayton, VIC
Salary: AU$85K – AU$108K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite, Full time
To be considered you will need:
- A relevant trade certificate/diploma/bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience in Electronics engineering and electrical systems.
- An understanding of electrical control systems such as PLC, HMI, battery management systems (BMS), micro controller programming, etc, and proficiency with various equipment and software such as (or equivalent) Altium Designer, Automation Organiser, Arduino IDE, Visio Professional, etc.
- Experience in prototype construction and electrical systems testing.
- A valid licence to carry out electrical work.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary research team, and willingness to contribute novel ideas & approaches in support of scientific investigations.
- At the more senior level, you will also need high levels of initiative & skills in solving complex technological problems, as well as leadership experience.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
To be eligible for this role, you must be currently residing in Australia as an Australian/New Zealand Citizen or an Australian Permanent Resident.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
6 October 2021, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 06 Oct 2021
- VIC - Clayton
- AU$85K – AU$108K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time