CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Urban Methane Emissions - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Urban Methane Emissions
- Do you have a PhD in Mathematics, Physics or Earth Sciences?
- Have a keen interest in climate science and a strong drive to deliver science in support of the Paris Climate Agreement?
- Join the Atmospheric Composition and Chemistry Group in CSIRO’s Climate Science Centre!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will join a team of international leaders in inverse modelling and atmospheric observation. They will utilize information contained in atmospheric measurements of methane concentrations (and associated tracers) around Melbourne to estimate methane emissions at the urban scale for uncertain sectors such as landfills, waste-water treatment, reticulated gas and wetlands. The primary focus of this role is on modelling and will involve the use of an atmospheric transport model and probabilistic inference.
Your duties will include:
- Applying state-of-the-art regional inversion methodology to estimate methane emissions for Melbourne.
- Comparing estimated emissions with bottom-up (inventory) estimates where available, assessing the potential for mitigation where appropriate and assessing vulnerability to climate change where possible (e.g. wetlands).
- Utilizing existing and ongoing atmospheric observations around Melbourne (from fixed observing sites, moving platforms and satellites), and working with measurement experts in the team to plan future additional observations.
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes
Location: Aspendale (Melbourne), VIC
Salary: AU$88k - AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as Mathematics, Physics or Earth Sciences. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Strong skills in high-level language computer programming, and familiarity with command-language scripting in Unix or Linux environments.
- Strong mathematical modelling background, preferably in earth sciences.
- Demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Inversion methodology,
- Atmospheric transport processes, particularly in a regional or urban setting,
- Atmospheric composition and greenhouse gas emissions,
- Methane source processes,
- Remote sensing of atmospheric composition.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible to for role, you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or Australian temporary resident currently residing in Australia and be able to commence in the role by December 2021/January 2022.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
31 August 2021, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 31 Aug 2021
- VIC - Aspendale
- AU$88k - AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: