Mechanical or Electronics Technician - [Archived Advertisement]
Mechanical or Electronics Technician
- Play a key support role in the European Space Agency’s Tracking Stations Network
- Part-time role in a beautiful rural location, just north of Perth
- Assist the ground station manager and other technical specialists
The New Norcia Ground Station supports ground-based spacecraft telecommunications as part of the European Space Agency’s Tracking Stations Network (ESTRACK), under proposed contractual arrangements between ESA and CSIRO.
As a Mechanical or Electronics Technician, you will provide technical support of equipment for spacecraft communications. You will assist in Mechanical and Controls systems maintenance and technical planning, as well as providing basic level technical back up, fault finding and support to technical specialists. Additionally, you will support Launch and Early Orbit (LEOP) activities, including reporting of results.
It is anticipated that the successful candidate will attend the station for five approximately 9 hour shifts per fortnight. The position requires support of launch activities, that generally occur overnight.
CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science is committed to providing a safe and inclusive workplace culture and implementing initiatives to improve diversity and equity within our workplace. This position is offered at 0.6 FTE.
In this role you will:
- Communicate well and collaborate effectively as part of a small technical team.
- Assist with maintenance and installation activities to ESA or manufacturers’ specifications.
- Provide support to the maintenance of equipment in other flight support areas.
- Provide support to operations of either front end control systems or telemetry processing and recording systems during launch and early orbit activities.
- Provide support for configuration management.
- Assist in maintenance and technical planning.
Location: New Norcia Ground Station, Western Australia
Salary: AU$85k - AU$96k per annum (pro-rata for part-time), plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite, part time
Residency: Australian and New Zealand Citizens currently residing in Australia
Australian Permanent Residents currently residing in Australia
To be considered you will hold a Diploma or Associate Diploma in Mechanical Engineering, Electronics & Communications or Electronics Engineering (or have made substantial progress towards attainment), or mechanical or electronics trade qualifications and solid relevant experience.
You will also have:
- A current Australian ‘C’ class driver’s licence (or equivalent).
- Knowledge of complex mechanical or electronic systems, with an emphasis on drives systems.
- The ability to work well as part of a small technical team and carry out tasks autonomously.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to manage a number of competing priorities simultaneously.
- An enthusiastic outlook with a proactive approach to finding novel solutions to complex work problems.
To see all the criteria required for success in this role, click on the ‘Position Details’ link below.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia’s national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details.
Thursday 24 June, 2021 (11pm AEST)
We reserve the right to withdraw this ad prior to the closing date.
- Closing Date:
- 24 Jun 2021
- WA - New Norcia
- Work Type:
- Part Time