CSIRO’s Postgraduate Top-Up Scholarship Program provides enhanced opportunities in science and engineering for outstanding graduates enrolling each year at Australian tertiary institutions as postgraduates for research leading to the award of a PhD. CSIRO PhD Top Up scholarships are now being offered in over 50 CSIRO research areas, for funding commencing in 2020.
PhD Top-up Scholarships are available to postgraduate students who have gained (or expect to gain), first class honours or equivalent in relevant research areas. Students must also expect to receive a Research Training Program (RTP) scholarship, or an equivalent primary scholarship, commencing in late 2019 or early 2020. Joint supervision of students by a university and a CSIRO supervisor is required and such joint supervisory arrangements must be consistent with the Higher Degree by Research Regulations of the host university. The students’ research will be co-supervised by CSIRO and university scientists.
The CSIRO Top Up Scholarships are supplementary awards, which add to the student’s support from a principal scholarship awarded by another body, e.g. Australian University RTP scholarship. In all respects recipients of awards will be regarded as students of the University at which they are registered, and all rules relating to degree candidature and the primary award will apply. In particular, recipients will undertake research at CSIRO as a student of the University concerned and are not employees of CSIRO.
Recipients of CSIRO Supplementary Postgraduate Awards are required to be Australian citizens or permanent residents. However, in fields in which there is a national skill shortage, awards may go to overseas candidates, provided that the international candidate is prepared to seek permanent residency as soon as possible within Australian Government policy guidelines.
At CSIRO Energy, we are pioneering low-emission technologies that create value for industry and households and provide the knowledge which will help guide Australia towards a smart, secure energy future. For more information please see our website at Energy.
Research areas: for details of research areas please see document CSIRO Postgraduate Scholarships - Energy (will link to Excel document)
Location: Various locations across Australia
Scholarship: Top-up scholarship of AU$7,000 per annum, plus a generous operating budget of AU$10,000 per annum
To be eligible to apply you must have (or expect to gain):
- first class honours or equivalent in a relevant research area;
- admission to an Australian University as a PhD student;
- a Research Training Program (RTP) scholarship or university equivalent; and
- an university supervisor who is willing and able to supervise you.
If you have already commenced your PhD studies, you must be less than 12 months into your PhD at 1 January 2020.
International applicants must have the appropriate immigration approvals to allow them to take up the scholarship.
Applications will be assessed on:
- Quality and relevance of student project: The primary assessment criterion for a CSIRO Postgraduate Scholarship is the quality and relevance of the project being proposed. The research must be aligned with, the advertised priority research area.
- Academic calibre of the student: The quality of the student is also critical to the assessment of a scholarship and candidates must hold (or expect to gain) a relevant first class honours (or equivalent) degree from a recognised University.
- Availability of appropriate university supervision: The relevance of the University supervisor’s research background and their willingness to supervise the student in collaboration with the CSIRO supervisor should also be made clear.
How to apply:
You will be required to:
- submit a Resume/CV and Cover Letter (as one document) in the ‘Resume/CV’ field which includes:
- the reasons why the research project/s you have selected are of interest to you and how your skills/knowledge meet the project requirements;
- the names and contact details of two academic referees; and
- an outline of your longer-term career aspirations and how this program will help you achieve them.
- upload your academic results in the ‘Cover Letter’ field;
- in the ‘Education’ section, select your university from the Educational Institute list;
- in the ‘Job-Specific Information’ section, select your preferred research project/s in order of preference. You are not required to provide your Grade Point Average (GPA), please select ‘Not Applicable’.
If you experience difficulties applying online call 1300 984 220 and someone will be able to assist you. Outside business hours please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
CSIRO’s Commitment to Diversity
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish. D&I Strategy
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
Applications close: Thursday 31 October 2019 (10.55pm AEDT)