- Are you a highly motivated, independent and productive researcher?
- Conduct research developing a new, efficient thermo-electrochemical energy conversion process
- Join the CSIRO Energy team in Newcastle for this exciting postdoctoral fellowship
Postdoctoral Fellows are appointed for up to three years and will work closely with a leading Research Scientist or Engineer in their respective field. They carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO with the possibility of novel and important scientific outcomes. They present the findings in appropriate publications and at conferences.
The postdoctoral fellow will conduct research aimed at the development of a new, efficient thermo-electrochemical energy conversion process that produces electricity from low-grade heat (50–200oC) that is currently discharged to the environment. The process will enable access to currently unavailable energy sources at the lower end of the energy value chain. The overall goal is to design and build a bench-scale demonstrator that will form the basis for scale-up studies and underpin cost estimates. To achieve this a large range of chemical systems will need to be assessed through literature study and laboratory research. The results will be utilised to conceive an optimum configuration for scale-up and long term system evaluation.
Your duties will include:
- Under the direction of senior research scientists, carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Performing electro-chemical assessments of a variety of working fluids, electrode materials and cell design concepts for the thermos-electro-chemical conversion process.
- Designing and building bench-scale thermos-electro-chemical systems to determine the energy performance of the identified combinations.
- Considering a range of potential opportunities for further development of the process concept.
- Undertaking regular reviews of relevant literature and patents.
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Salary: $82k to $93k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of up to 3 years
Job ref: 58917
To be successful you will have:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, as (Electro-)Chemical engineering, (Electro-)Chemistry, Physics. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years of relevant postdoctoral experience.
- Unwavering commitment to uphold and cultivate best Health, Safety and Environment practices in the workplace.
- Thorough fundamental understanding of and/or practical experience with electro-chemical energy conversion processes.
- Excellent laboratory skills including the design and engineering of bench-scale experimental facilities.
- Excellent analytical skills and/or effective problem-solving abilities.
Before applying please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position Details
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more Balance
How to Apply: Please provide enough information relevant to the selection criteria for this position to enable the assessment panel to determine your suitability, and upload one document containing your CV/resume and cover letter.
Applications Close: 10:59pm AEDT, 31 October 2018.