- Are you passionate about a career in applied research or technology?
- Want to kick-start your career with an industry placement during your PhD?
- Apply for the UNSW-CSIRO Industry PhD Program!
The UNSW-CSIRO Industry PhD (iPhD) Program is an industry-focused, applied research training program that aims to produce the next generation of work-ready research and innovation leaders with the skills to work at the interface of research and industry in Australia. The program aims to provide an innovation and industry-focussed 4-year applied research training experience that gives graduates a competitive advantage across a broad range of future career paths.
The Industry PhD program has been developed to help bridge the ‘research-industry divide’ in Australia. Specifically the program addresses three key areas:
- Increasing the number of high calibre STEM graduates going on to applied research and technology careers
- Increasing innovation and industry-focussed, practical research training (to ensure that STEM research graduates are ‘work ready’)
- Providing more incentive and opportunities for Australian businesses to employ STEM researchers
Industry PhD Higher Degree Research candidates will:
- Undertake an industry-focussed, applied research project
- Be supervised by a team of three supervisors (CSIRO, UNSW and Industry) with expertise in applied research skills, knowledge exchange and industry
- Undertake an industry focussed training program with coursework and development activities
- Gain ‘real life’ industry experience through a six-month internship during their four-year candidature
Projects: Industry PhD projects are being offered on the industry-led research projects listed below, for details please see https://research.unsw.edu.au/industry-phd/.
- Extracting value from unstructured health data
- Deep Learning to detect anomalies in big datasets
- Using machine learning to understand and improve patient journeys
- Patient phenotyping using machine learning to support new care pathways
- Optimal design of hybrid energy storage systems supporting dispatch of large-scale renewable energy systems
- Integration of Patient Reported Outcome Measures with other big data to assess value in healthcare
- Developing better indicators of patient safety
- Impact on health from transitioning away from fossil fuels to new alternate energy sources
- Paper-Based On-Chip Electrochemical Biosensors for Personalised Monitoring of Micronutrients in Body Fluids
- The role of Augmented and Virtual Reality in Smart Cities
- Transforming Construction Operations by Leveraging Internet of Things and Blockchain
Location: Sydney, NSW (check project descriptions for details)
Scholarship: annual $40,000 Scholarship over four years, plus project research support funds of $10,000 per annum
To be eligible to apply you must be:
Applications will be assessed on:
- Experience relevant to the field of research, including any research experience
- Suitability for the project
- Academic excellence
- Motivation for undertaking an Industry-led PhD project
Full details are outlined on the UNSW website at https://research.unsw.edu.au/industry-phd/.
How to Apply:
For details on how to apply, please see the UNSW website at https://research.unsw.edu.au/industry-phd/.
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
Applications close: 5pm 17th August 2018