- Interested in being involved in the production of ammonia for renewable-energy storage?
- Have, or about to obtain, a PhD in physics, materials science, chemistry or engineering?
- Join the CSIRO Manufacturing team for this exciting postdoctoral fellowship
Postdoctoral Fellows are appointed for up to three years and will work closely with a leading Research Scientist or Engineer in their respective field. They carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO with the possibility of novel and important scientific outcomes. They present the findings in appropriate publications and at conferences.
CSIRO Manufacturing is seeking a postdoctoral fellow to research and implement new approaches to the production of ammonia using the combination of a non-equilibrium plasma and a catalyst, with the aim of developing a reactor for production of ammonia for renewable-energy storage. The project will include design of a plasma catalytic reactor using chemical kinetic and computational fluid dynamic modelling, design of 3D-printed catalyst supports, testing of different plasma regimes and catalysts, and ultimately the design of a laboratory-scale demonstration system for ammonia production.
Your duties will include:
- Carrying out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO, under the direction of senior research scientists that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Applying and extending existing chemical kinetic models to determine the best process parameters for ammonia production by plasma catalysis.
- Designing 3D-printed catalyst support structures using computational fluid dynamic modelling to maximise contact between the plasma and the catalyst and to optimise heat transport.
- Designing plasma catalytic reactors for ammonia production, and test the effectiveness of different catalysts and plasma regimes.
- Undertaking regular reviews of relevant literature and patents.
Location: Sydney (Lindfield), New South Wales
Salary: $80k to $91k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of up to 3 years
Ref no: 57006
To be successful you will have:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as physics, materials science, chemistry or engineering.Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years of relevant postdoctoral experience.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including at national and international conferences.
- Strong track record of experimental research in atmospheric-pressure non-equilibrium plasma processes.
- Demonstrated understanding of interactions of plasmas with solid surfaces.
- Experience in the design of atmospheric-pressure non-equilibrium plasma reactors.
Before applying please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position Details
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more Balance
How to Apply: Please provide enough information relevant to the selection criteria for this position to enable the assessment panel to determine your suitability, and upload one document containing your CV/resume and cover letter.
Applications Close: 10:59pm AEST, 19 June 2018.