With approximately 6,800 staff, more than $6 billion in fixed and other assets and more than 6,500 kilometres of track, Queensland Rail (QR) is an integrated customer and rail infrastructure business servicing the passenger, tourism, resources and freight customer markets throughout Queensland. The organisation aims to be the safest, best performing and most customer focused railway in Australia.
Reporting to the Manager Signalling Project Development this position will provide expert engineering services and lead project-based teams to deliver quality, commercially focused signal engineering solutions across Queensland Rail.
- Provide, as a professional engineer, advanced signal engineering design, cost estimation and documentation services as part of commercially valuable and effective signal engineering solutions to Queensland Rail's business against specified Key Performance Indicators (KPI's), with a primary focus on project conceptualisation and development.
- Maximise commercial outcomes for Queensland Rail by initiating developing and reinforcing strong stakeholder relationships and by applying high quality influencing, advocacy, resolution and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Perform a central role as a signal engineering specialist in a team of engineering professionals, including multi-disciplinary project based teams to ensure delivery of effective and commercially valuable signal engineering solutions.
- Propose, develop and implement business improvements, technology development and innovation to generate commercial advantage and outcomes.
- Evaluate and integrate business improvements, technology development and innovation to generate commercial advantage and outcomes.
- Meet the requirements of professional practice and/or the Quality Management System to provide consistent output of signal engineering services and advice, ensure compliance with safety, operational and environmental legislation, regulations and practices.
- Ensure professional integrity and good business approach to signal engineering products delivered by the team to meet operational requirements and deliver valuable commercial outcomes.
What is the key selection criteria
- High level of skill in delivering signal engineering solutions to meet operational requirements and deliver commercial value in at least one area of signal engineering practice, design, analysis and evaluation, asset management, infrastructure maintenance, construction and supervision, inspection/assessment/auditing, commissioning and research and development.
- High level of skills in project and resource management, budgets and meeting deadlines to deliver business focused engineering solutions.
- High level of skills in relationship management and problem solving with multiple, diverse and often complex stakeholders.
- High level of skills in co-ordinating small teams in a project based environment that achieves commercial outcomes through continual improvement and innovation.
- High level of skills in proposing, developing and implementing business improvements, technology development and innovation to generate commercial advantage and outcomes.
- High level of skill in meeting statutory, regulatory, legal and policy obligations, particularly in relation to satisfy the safety, environment, contract processes and human resource requirements applying to infrastructure projects.
- Bachelor Engineering – Electrical or equivalent
Apply to position number 73760 by clicking onto the "Apply" button. Please submit a resume and covering letter outlining relevant experience by 5pm, Friday 23rd June 2017.
External applicants applying for roles within Queensland Rail will be subject to Alcohol and Other Drugs pre-employment testing
The recruitment and selection process for this position might require shortlisted applicants to undertake Psychometric Assessment, Pre-Employment Health Assessment and background checks that might also include Criminal History and Credit Checks.
As Queensland Rail is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace, we encourage women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disability, people from non-English speaking backgrounds, and members of other diverse groups to apply. We support working flexibly and encourage candidates to have a discussion around flexible work arrangements.